Ice pick headaches, MRI, chiari malformation, nerve pain. Suggest.

My daughter has been having ice pick headaches 80+ times a day for over a month now. She gets them all over her head, including behind her nose. She had an MRI done and a 7mm Chiari malformation was found however they said the ice pick headaches have nothing to do with the malformation so there will be no surgery. She says she feels like she has to two brains sometimes and gets random nerve pain all over her body. I don't know what to do and I don't want to push the doctor so much that we get blown off as crazy people. I'm so frustrated for my daughter. Is there any possibility at all that the ice pick headaches are related to the Chiari malformation? If so, how do I communicate this to the neurosurgeon effectively?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. A.S. Keerthi 5 hours later

Ice pick headaches of your daughter are very unlikely to be related to Chiari malformation. Those are likely to be part of migraine( if she has migraine) or primary stabbing headache. Since she has frequent attacks, it is better to put her on prophylactic medication for migraine.

Let her pick a book now. Let her note down all the instances of such headache, timing of the day, which part of the head, which medicines help etc in the book and present it to the doctor during her regular appointment. That helps the doctor a lot to diagnose. A symptom of headache needs a detailed history and less examination. So try to detail about it.

Kindly consult a local neurologist who will examine her and give appropriate medication.

Hope this helps in allaying your anxiety about Chiari malformation, it helps you assist your daughter.