Ia there any risk of pregnancy without penetration and ejaculation?

Psychiatrist
Question
I indulged in genital rubbing with my partner about a week ago. There was no penetration, and no ejaculation. The rubbing didn't last for more than a minute, and in fact, it was more of a strong contact of the genitals, rather than rubbing.
Are there any pregnancy risks?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the scenario which you have described, the risk of pregnancy is almost nil.
The reasons for this are:

1) There was no penetration at all. For the sperms to travel up the cervix and into the uterus, the semen has to be deposited inside the vagina (usually, in the posterior part (deeper part) of the vagina.

2) Even though it is possible that the initial secretions of the penis (also known as "precum") can contain few sperms, but without any penetration, it is not likely for the sperms to enter the uterus.

But if you are feeling too anxiuous about this, then for your peace of mind, you can ask your partner (if known to you) to have a urine pregnancy testing done after 2 weeks. Easy home pregnancy testing kits are available in most pharmacies (e.g. Velocit which costs less than Rs. 100).

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Ia there any risk of pregnancy without penetration and ejaculation? 30 hours later
Thanks a lot,

One more thing, i did finger my partner at times. Could this increase the chances?
Also, i didn't experience much wetness as well. I had also ejaculated that same day, about 6-7 hours earlier, and had urinated at least once after that, and had cleaned my penis during bath. Would this affect the semen content of the pre-seminal fluid?
My partner had most probably ovulated at least a day prior to this.
She is also a virgin, and her hymen is intact.
What could be the risks under such circumstances?

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 5 hours later
Hello again,

Getting your fingers in contact with her vaginal fluids does not increase the risk of pregnancy in any way. Moreover, an intact hymen (and the absence of penetration) is another reason why the risk of pregnancy is very unlikely.

However, ejaculating previously and cleaning the penis may not make any significant difference to the risk.

But, in this scenario, the overall risk is very minimal.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Ia there any risk of pregnancy without penetration and ejaculation? 22 hours later

Well my doubt about fingering was that, if i actually had deposited some pre-seminal fluid around the vulva, would fingering cause some of it to enter the vagina, and increase the risks?
As far as i remember, i was nowhere close to ejaculation, and am not sure of any pre-seminal fluid presence.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later

Theoretically speaking there could be a minimal risk, but you should understand that "risk" is generally determined by the "practical" probability of something happening.

So, in your case, even if there was a theoretical possibility that your hand contained traces of pre-seminal fluid (which could have contained some sperms) and you had touched her vulva, still it is practically very unlikely that any sperms could have reached the deeper part of the vagina, especially since you say that her hymen was intact. Therefore, the overall risk of pregnancy is extremely minimal.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Ia there any risk of pregnancy without penetration and ejaculation? 36 hours later

Well, my only concern was if i had carried some pre-ejaculate from her vulva to the inside of her vagina, while i fingered her. Because i did so, to about a depth of 2-3 inches. What are the odds of this?

And one more thing, does washing the penis (along with washing the foreskin) with water and some soap, rid it of any sperms in that area, remaining after masturbation?
One more thing, is urinating once, enough to remove any remaining semen from the urethra?

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 25 hours later
Hello again,

Even in the scenario which you have mentioned, the odds are minimal. This because, the pre-seminal fluid "may" contain a few sperms only. Also, even the probability of transferring the preseminal fluid with your fingers into the vagina is again practically quite less.

Washing the penis with soap and water after masturbation can help in washing away any residual semen in the penis.

Usually, passing urine after ejaculation washes out any residual semen from the urethra (but not from the surrounding areas in the glans or the foreskin of the penis)

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist