Ia it normal to have foot pain post bunion operation?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Hello, I had a bunion operation 9 weeks ago. Had the pin removed after 6 weeks and was told to bring a wide fitting shoe to wear.As I'd been on warferin ,after the pin was taken out the nurse squeezed my toe very,very hard. This was so painful Icould not put a shoe on so was told to keep wearing the weight bearing boot. Since then I have been unable , without the boot on, put my foot on the floor without getting a great deal of pain in the ball of the foot just under the pinned toe. Have had an x-ray which was okay. Is this pain normal after 9 weeks. I look forward to any information/advice you can give me. Thanks XXXXXXX Griffiths
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No, pain is not normal after 9 weeks Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query, The pain after 9 weeks of surgery does not look normal. You are already on warfarin. Is there any swelling at the area mentioned? There is a possibility of a small collection of clot under the ball of the foot. This will not be seen on x-ray. As the x-ray is reported normal , I would advise to consult your Doctor, so that he can guide you well. In the meantime elevate the affected leg above the heart level in lying down position to ease the edema and pain. continue using the prescribed boot. No weight bearing at all. Ice fomentation do help to ease the edema and pain. I hope this answer helps you well. Come back to us if there is more information to share and be viewed.