IVF procedure done. Took progesterone IM Injection. Developed numbness at injection site. Cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hi, I went through an IVF cycle dec 2012. I took daily progesterone IM injections . after the shot, a large area (size of my hand ) on my left and right hip/buttock area became numb to the touch. It is like it fell asleep. The numbness appears to be only at the surface. Since then, the numbness has not lessened. I am guessing we may have hit a nerve. What should I do to help it recover? How long will it take? Thanks!
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have developed numbness at the site of Injection of Progesterone. This is most likely to be due to injury to the nerves that innervate the surface of the skin.

This is always temporary. As the regeneration of neurone is very slow, it will take 6 months to recover completely and to regain sensation.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

With Regards
Dr.Patil

Follow-up: IVF procedure done. Took progesterone IM Injection. Developed numbness at injection site. Cure? 3 hours later
Thank you doctor.

I am planning for the second round of IVF next month(march 2013).
Is that fine if i continue to take injections in my hip/buttlock, or i should take some medication to heal this numbness first.

Thanks in advance, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 11 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

You continue with your scheduled I.V.F and and can take injection on buttock. Do not worry about the present numbness. It will take its own time to recover which is certain to happen.

With Regards
Dr.Patil