IV needle tip stuck in the wrist, pain. What to do?

I was at the emergency room last night and they put an IV in my wrist for liquids. SO I was there all night and when it was time to go home, they kept the needle in my wrist and told me to come back in the afternoon. But after a few hours, it started to REALLY hurt so I had to take it out but the tip of the needle didnt come out... i think it might be stuck in my wrist/vein.

What do I do!?!?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 27 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I am happy that your vomiting has subsided

What I am curious about is why did they discharge you with the iv cannula on you?

I would like to focus on the point that nowadays iv cannulas as designed in such a way that the needle is only used to insert and secure the cannula in a vein, what remains is a hollow cylinder made of plastic.
The most common problem with the iv cannula however is when lots of fluids are given through a particular cannula inflammation of the vein occurs causing severe pain. This is known as thrombophlebitis. This causes intense pain and swelling at the site of entry.
However since you are telling us that you can feel a foreign body at the site please XXXXXXX your physician/ general surgeon for a quick examination
Also a local heparin ointment with a Pain killer like aceclofenac will reduce the pain, please ask your doctor for a prescription

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if there are no further queries

I wish you good health