IV drip leaked into the muscle. Noticed swelling in wrist and hand. What can I do to get the swelling down?

Hi there my baby had an iv drip a few days ago, it leaked into the muscle now her wrist and hand is swollen. Wat can i do to get the swelling down?Please read all the notes and assist me. Can she be cured of sepsis? And e coli. The doc didnt tell me wat e coli. Cud she have picked this up in london. Will my baby be healthy again? Wat can i do for her? Can i use immune boosters woudl they help
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Thanks for all the details.
First of all, the swelling due to the extravasated IV fluid will improve.
The swelling will take some time but it will subside.
Only if calcium was added to the IV fluid, it will cause some local reaction with bluish colour. Just make sure that it is not added.
E coli. Is known to cause diarrhoea, fever and rigors. It has to be treated aggressively. Your doctors are correct in giving IV antibiotics. She needs them for 5-7 days for complete recovery.
Do not worry. The diarrhoea is part of the infection. It is difficult to say where she acquired the infection.
The dehydration can be corrected with IV fluids or oral electrolytes when the vomiting is controlled.
The CRP is high and suggests an infection. It will come down when infection is controlled.
Please be patient.
Your baby will improve definitely!
God bless.
Good luck
Dr Uma

Follow-up: IV drip leaked into the muscle. Noticed swelling in wrist and hand. What can I do to get the swelling down? 1 hour later
Hi there she also has sepsis of the blood. Her temperature when she is sleeping is quite low it ranges between 34.7 to 35.8... Is this ok? Or should sumthing be done urgently?she also seems to be drinking quite slowly and chokes wen she is drinking anything, has this got anything to do with the infection? I'm worried About my baby I just hope the sepsis doesn't get worse and cos organ failure
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later

Thanks for the details.

First, I would like to introduce myself. I am Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth, a Pediatrician and Neonatologist answering on behalf of my husband. You may want to see my profile here: WWW.WWWW.WW
1. Hypothermia (low body temp) is part of the sepsis.
What is the room temperature there? Is it very cold? If yes, keep her warm and recheck the temperature.

2. Regarding feeding problem, it can also occur as part of sepsis. If I were to be treating her, I would like rule out meningitis too. A spinal tap can be helpful. Discuss with her treating doctor.

3. I assume your child is still at the hospital. Sepsis is concerning, but with IV antibiotic and support it can be treated. I am sure the doctors are monitoring her closely which can prevent complications.
So under hospital care she is relatively safe.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wishing her a speedy recovery...

Good luck!!!
Dr Uma Rajah Ananth,
Pediatrician and Neonatologist
Hi thanks for replying so promptly. Well they discharged on Sunday bcos she doesn't have a fever. But we take her to the hospital daily for her IV antibiotic. Today is the last one. He then said we shud give her orelox.

She has been crawling and playing but is very lethargic should I still ask him about the spinal tap?

Pl pray for my XXXXXXX
I really appreciate u responding so promptly it's helped me a lot

Thank you Ms XXXXXXX

No need to ask for final tap at this time -

I am moved by your devotion to the child - Blessed child indeed! - to have a doting mother like you! She sure must be an XXXXXXX - does not an XXXXXXX beget an angel?

We join you in your prayer for the well-being of the child.
God bless you and your child.

Good luck
Dr Uma