IUI, no follicle left in ovary, pregnancy chances?

How long does the free fluid last after ovulation? i just did an ultrasound and there was no follicle left in the ovary and the free fluid had formed. We did an IUI at that time but was I alreadey too late to get pregnant? Does the free fluid last for hours or days? if it is only hours than we might be in luck.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
After the dominant follicle ruptures the presence of free fluid in the pouch of XXXXXXX indicates that the ovulation has taken place. This is a small amount of fluid and is gradually reabsorbed over a period of 3-5 days. There is no specific time period specified for the fluid to disappear. Person to person variations are very common.
Usually it is recommended that once the follicle is mature enough, inj. Hcg is given to rupture the follicle and after the injection, the follicle ruptures within 36 hours. It is difficult to exactly pin point the time of ovulation.
Your IUI was close enough. Chances of pregnancy are good.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: IUI, no follicle left in ovary, pregnancy chances? 54 minutes later
Specifically on Sunday morning I had an ultrasound w the lead follicle measuring 16. By Tuesday morning it was gone, not just smaller, but completely gone. Can the follicle just collapse and disappear that quickly or could I have ovulated Sunday night? In which case a Tuesday IUI would have been too late. Or is there just too much unknown to be sure either way? btw I understand the hcg and the timing of that. But there was not time for that because i ovulated naturally. My main concern is knowing when the actual ovulation occurred between Sunday & Tuesday. Eggs only have a 12-24 hour lifespan. Could I have missed it?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

Your follicle ruptured after it was 16mm in size. Normally the follicles rupture after they reach a size of 20-22mm. It is likely that the follicle ruptured after getting 18mm in size which will be most probably near to Tuesday.

Do not worry. Just relax. The chances of having ovulation on tuesday itself are good.