IUI done. Taking progesteone suppository. Negative urine pregnancy test 14 days post IUI. Was urine test performed early?

Dear doctor,
I have PCOS and got an IUI done this cycle and was asked to take progesterone suppository 200 mg twice daily from the day following the IUI and to continue till next 14 days, until a urine pregnancy test was performed on the 14th day post IUI. On the 14th day (from the date of IUI) I got a negative urine pregnancy test and so discontinued taking progesterone and started bleeding after 3 days. Also, on the same day before I started bleeding I got ,my beta HCG blood test done which showed a count of around 3. My question is,
a) was the urine test performed too soon to show anything
b) and if the urine test was performed too soon, did I end up causing a miscarriage by suddenly stopping the progesterone suppository?
c) could the beta hcg value of 3 be due to the hcg triggers that was given to me during the IUI? or could the beta hcg levels have dropped from some level to 3 due to suddenly stopping the progesterone suppository thereby inducing a miscarriage?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You did not cause a miscarriage

Detailed Answer:
First, let me assure you that by stopping the progesterone support you did not cause a miscarriage. Progesterone is normally produced in the body during pregnancy. You were given some added support to help with that. By stopping it you didn't cause a miscarriage.
To answer your queries: a) by stopping14 days post IUI it is enough time to find out if fertilization has occurred. Therefore, it is soon enough time to test. Nowadays we have very sensitive tests for detection .b) by stopping the progestrone support, you did not cause a miscarriage. c) non-pregnant levels of beta hcg is normally< 5. So in case of a negative test your levels of 3 is fine.