IUD removed. Back pain, metallic taste in mouth and nausea. Negative pregnancy test. Miscarriage?

Mar 2013
Hi, I had a copper IUD after 4 years on October 9th. For as long as I can remember my cycle has been 32 days. There have been some times where its a day or so late, and a few times I've been under a lot of stress and its come a little later. The month I had the IUD removed my period was 9 days late. I then had a normal cycle. In December I believe I had an early miscarriage, although never got a positive pregnancy test. I had back pain from around the time implantation would have been and then started getting a horrible metallic taste in my mouth and a really enhanced sense of smell and some nausea. I continued to have back pain until 3 days before my period when I started bleeding for 3 days. It was rather clotty and all of my symptoms disappeared over the course of the first day of bleeding. I had 3 very awful days of feeling listless, unable to get out of bed, unable to eat and uncontrollably weepy.
I then had a period exactly 3 weeks later, with normal PMT symptoms beforehand and I bled for 4 days. That was the last bleed I have had. A week before I expected my period to come (based on 32 days), I had awful mood swings, a skin breakout, exhaustion, hot flashes and just generally felt very hormonal and low. I expected my period, but it never came. I then started feeling queasy and getting headaches. This stopped last Tuesday. I have done 8 pregnancy tests from the point my period was due, and had a negative blood test as well.

I'm rather confused as to what could be going on. Could this be related to the miscarriage, the IUD removal, could I still be pregnant or could there be something else like fibroids or thyroid problems. (Thyroid problems run in my family, but I had blood tests in August which were fine.).
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 31 minutes later

I think what you are having is irregular cycles.
Now the cause, could be one of many.
It could be related to the IUD removal, however that would not explain the other symptoms like queasiness, headaches , hot flashes etc.
The irregular cycles commonly occur after IUD removal.
Yes, they could be on account of the miscarriage also.
After 8 negative pregnancy tests, and a negative blood test, we should no longer consider the possibility of a pregnancy.

Other causes include - stress, anxiety, emotional upheavals, frequent travelling, rapid changes in weight - either sudden weight gain or weight loss, thyroid disorders ( after all the last test was 6 months ago ), deranged blood sugars, other concomitant drugs you might be taking, polycystic ovaries, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, endometrial hyperplasia etc.

As you can see, the list is exhaustive, out of which you can rule out only a few by yourself.
The rest need to be ruled out by the following steps - consultation with a gynaecologist, thorough XXXXXXX check up, relevant blood tests and a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound.

In fact , I am surprised you havent consulted a gynecologist already, since your query itself tells me you are quite insightful and thorough.

Please do so at the earliest, and let me know.
Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.