IS there any side effect if lortab is taken with alcohol?

Question
I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT INFORMATION ON LORTABS. I AM WANTING TO KNOW WHAT EFFECTS IT HAS ON SOMEONE WHEN TAKING IT WITH ALCOHOL. I HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER THAT TOOK HALF A PILL WITH A BEER. HE SAID IT GAVE HIM A HIGH. HE DID THIS FOR A YEAR. HE THEN STOPPED TAKING THE LORTAB AND WENT INTO DEPRESSION. HE IS BETTER NOW BUT IT TOOK 8 MONTHS TO GET BETTER. HE IS NOW ON MED FOR DEPRESSION. I WONDERED IF THERE ARE OR IS ANY INFO ON THIS OUT THERE ANYWHERE?
DO I HAVE TO PAY TO GET THIS ANSWER? I AM TRYING TO DO A REPORT FOR MY CLASS IN PHARMACY TECH.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lortab and alcohol has synergestic effects...

Detailed Answer:

Loratab a drug that contains acetaminophen and hydrocodone acts synergestically with alcohol. The amount of synergism depend on the dose of the drug as well as amount of alcohol consumed. Since both are known to suppress central nervous system, if taken together it can make a person drowsy. Higher quantities can be detrimental to his/her respiratory functions.

Though a person would develop tolerance to synergestic effects gradually with chronic usage and the combination can be less deadly, chronic usage can affect liver function as both acetaminophen and alcohol are metabolized by the liver. If a person has previous liver disease, this combination can be fatal too.

In short, loratab and alcohol are not to be taken together. I am glad your friend has stopped it now. You can discuss with his treating doctor about testing his liver.

The current episode of depression is unlikely to be due to alcohol or medication. You need to discuss with his treating doctor about the possible reasons and its treatment.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you need clarifications.