Ask a Urologist   »  

IS it normal to get urinary symptoms after sexual intercourse post prostrate surgery?

Question
Hello Doctor, I had prostrate surgery two years ago which has proven to be moderately successful. I understand and accept that one on the consequences of this surgery is retrograde ejaculation, however, every time I ejaculate I have an overwhelming feeling to pass urine for a least a hour or two afterwards with a sense of urgency Is this normal?
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No worries for now, opinion of surgein/urologist Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is not unusual to to experience some urinary symptoms after sexual intercourse, even in people with normal prostates, or who have not undergone surgery. It might be important to remember that both the prostate and urinary secretions use the same path to leave the body. The nerve supply to both areas are common, and when stimulated, it is not surprising especially that after sex, one feel as urinating, to clear in a reflex and protective natural fashion, the urinary trajectory. Coming back to your case, this would be of concern if it has just started of late, or has been aggravating with time. If its no case of aggravation of if it is not of recent onset, it might be a serious call for concern. Depending on the intensity of symptoms, if too disturbing, you might have to seek the opinion of your urologist/surgeon. It not rare however to experience mild urinary symptoms after prostate surgery. It becomes a major concern only when they are so severe, are aggravating with time or are of abrupt onset. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking follow up questions in case of need. i would be honored making any contributions. DR Bain