Ask a Urologist   »  

IS having blood in urine indicates serious health problem?

Blood in my urine Went to my Doctor for general health check up and found out there was a small blood in my urine test so he asked me to repeat the test I gave another urine after 2 weeks and the 2nd test came back with the same result that there is a small blood in my urine. Is this a more serious health problem? Where did the blood come from?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 days later
Brief Answer: infection, stone or tumor usually----------------- Detailed Answer: welcome to the forum. Most common causes for blood in urine in that order are 1. Infection in the urinary tract (UTI) 2. Stone(s) in the urinary tract. 3. Tumor in the urinary tract- usually bladder. There may be some rare causes also. So the next steps would be to do the following tests--- 1. Urine culture and sensitivity to look for the bacteria causing the infection. 2. Ultrasound scan of the urinary tract to look for stone or tumor mass. Based on the results, a diagnosis is made and treatment can be started. This is quite treatable and there should be no worry. Hope this helps, Wish you good health, Regards