IBS, back pain, migraine, jaw pain, family history of fibromyalgia

I'm 22 years old, 5'11 and 155 pounds and am in good physical condition and lead a pretty healthy lifestyle. I've been to various doctors over the years for various pains that have never went away.
The pains are as follows:
Stomach cramps and aches, this has been diagnosed as dicyclomine I'm on does nothing to sooth the stomach aches. Of course, these stomach aches are aggravated by stress and over the years I've learned to relax but I still get the stomach pain from time to time (once a week, probably, in the evening, and it lasts until i go to bed).
Shooting pains in my arms and legs and frequent muscle twitches.
Lower back pain.
A sort of shooting pain that feels like it's, well, in my butt.
Some days, which are becoming more frequent, I feel groggy all day and now and then feel like I'm 80 years old and tired. I realize that effects everybody but it seems to last for a few days or weeks now before I feel okay again.
Most recently I've been having an intermittent jaw pain that comes and goes along the left jaw line as well as an Ocular Migraine and a occasional headaches at the back of my head and above my left eye (these are rare).
All of these things come and go a few times a week.
It's all extremely annoying. To be honest I can deal with the aches and pains, I can manage them but.....I'd rather not. They don't cripple me but they sure as heck drive me crazy, it's starting to grate on my nerves that everybody keeps telling me there's nothing wrong with me! I've learned to cope with the shooting pains and stomach cramps as I've had them my whole life, but the jaw pain and headaches are exacerbating my patience.
I've been to a series of doctors and, recently for the jaw pain, dentist.
They all told me I'm in good health and that there's nothing wrong with me. Frankly I believe they think I'm nuts. I know I'm not though. Because of my age and good physical condition the doctors want to treat me on a 'per symptom' basis. Nobody want's to take a holistic approach.
It should be noted that Fibromyalgia runs in my family, but it seems that it affects mostly women.
I'm sorry to leave such a long message but I'm desperate for answers, the stress of not knowing what's going on in my body is almost more annoying than the aches and pains themselves (but not quite).
Thank you so much for your time and God bless.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
I can understand your concern.
Getting frequent chronic pains with no diagnosis made till now is a frustrating problem.
You have a collection of symptoms of which is I am sure quite difficult to put together. I am sure this is creating a significant amount of anxiety and we will work on that here today.
I have to say that from what you have mentioned so far I dont feel that you have any type of life threatening problem.
First of all we certainly need to consider a metabolic factor. This could certainly explain some of your symptoms. In addition we should also consider the possibility that there may be a psychiatric factor which could be exacerbating this.

The first thing I would like to know from you is whether or not there is any family history of any metabolic problems. This would include diabetes or disorder. If there is something in your family history. We may be able to connect it to some of the symptoms you may have been experiencing
Another thought is that you may be starting to exhibit some signs of a bipolar disorder. Specifically your symptoms may reflect a depressive type episode. For ruling them out you need to consult a psychiatrist.
With everything you have described I recommend you make an appointment for a thorough consultation and examination by a general physician who may consider checking some blood tests to rule out any metabolic factors in your case. Let me reassure you that a good physician will be able to help you get to the bottom of this and then implement some solutions.
Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry. You should be fine soon.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: IBS, back pain, migraine, jaw pain, family history of fibromyalgia 49 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt response.
As far as the metabolic disorders go, my father has had some problems with his thyroid, which as I understand plays a role in metabolism...?
Also I believe my mother had stomach pain accompanied by bowel movements whereas mine hurst sporadically and bowel movements don't offer any relief.
Another question about my jaw pain would be, if things like TMJ have been ruled out by my dentist, could it possible be a pinched nerve?
Hope this gives you some insight, thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

I would advise you to get your blood glucose levels and thyroid hormone levels tested.

sometimes presents differently also where the pain is not associated with the bowel movement.

Pinched or chronic irritation of the nerve(neuralgia) is a strong possibility for the jaw pain.

Wishing you an early recovery.