I wish to know whether glaucoma is a sexually transmitted disease?

Nephrologist
Question
I wish to know whether glaucoma is a sexually transmitted disease.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later

Glaucoma is a group of condition that cause severe injury to the optic nerve secondary to raised intraocular pressure. It is NOT a sexually transmitting disease, the common causes of glaucoma are
1. East Asian origin
2. Congenital
3. Trauma
4. Infections like uveitis
5. Diabetic retinopathy
5. Steroid related glaucoma

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health

Follow-up: I wish to know whether glaucoma is a sexually transmitted disease? 2 days later
Is glaucoma an infectitous disease? Is there a possibility of a person contracting glaucoma by marrying/ having sex with a person already having that condition?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello.

Thanks for replying.

Glaucoma is not an infectious disease which can get transmitted. There is no possibility of getting galucoma by having intercourse with another person suffering from glaucoma.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my query if there are no further queries.

I wish you good health.

Regards.