I want to start novelon. Will it lead to weight gain? Any side effects and how long should I take it?

Question
I am getting married in November and I want to start oral contraceptive pills. I will have Novelon.

1. Does it lead to weight gain?
2. for how many months can i have it?
3. Are there any side effects?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 17 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

1.Yes, it can cause alteration in body weight.

2. You can take it as long as you desire.But you should consult your doctor for this. It can provide contraception form first month itself.

3. There are side effects.Few of these are - breast tenderness, breast pain, abdominal pain, nausea, oedema, and headache, skin rash and itching, insomnia and depression. Less common side effects include: migraine, fluid retention, changes in body weight, changes in libido.

I would suggest you to consider other means of contraception like condoms or IUCD as well.As this have lesser side effects and equally effective.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards.

Follow-up: I want to start novelon. Will it lead to weight gain? Any side effects and how long should I take it? 6 minutes later
I also have slight acne which is due to hormonal changes like periods etc so i was thinking ocps would clear that as well.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 20 hours later

It might help you with your acne, but that would not be ideal approach to get it treated.Again you cannot over look other side effects of OCPs. So both treatments should be separate.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards.