I walk in my sleep and injure myself. What is the disease called and treatment available?

Psychiatrist
Question
I sleep walk...I very often hurt myself. My question: WHY can't I feel it? Some of these injuries have been fairly severe. Also another question: WHY do doctors not know anything about this topic?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 58 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Sleep walking (somnambolism) usually starts in young age and is less likely to cause severe injury. But in some cases, injuries have occurred. Because it occurs during "deep sleep phase" (i.e. NREM stage 3 and 4) of sleep cycle, pain is less likely to be perceived.

Alternatively, these symptoms can occur in multiple personality disorder.

However, if such symptoms have recently started at 59 years of age, then possibility of both the conditions is very unlikely. A qualified psychiatrist will be able to assess the condition and identify the cause if any.

Hope this addresses some of the concerns. I am available for further discussions.

Follow-up: I walk in my sleep and injure myself. What is the disease called and treatment available? 42 minutes later
I have been sleep walking all of my life...nothing big. My daughter did this herself for a few years and then it stopped.
My episodes got worse four years ago. If my safety is threatened it comes out via sleep.
I find it so unsettling that the mind has that kind of control. Three years ago I awoke to find my toe cut and swollen...no recall, no pain.
Does one have to find a special Dr to treat this?

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 43 minutes later
I do appreciate for providing additional information. Minor cut can very well be a possibility in sleep walking

As you mentioned, some stress and threatening safety of self in your case brings these symptoms. So, management would be to how this threat of safety (is threat of physical safety or psychological threat) can be handled
- If it is physical threat then it need to be handled socially / legally.
- If psychological threat, then, you need a mental health professional (psychologist or psychotherapist / psychiatrist ) consultation.

I do not feel that you need to consult a doctor specialized in sleep walking.

Hope this answer would help you. I am available for further discussion

Good luck

Follow-up: I walk in my sleep and injure myself. What is the disease called and treatment available? 1 hour later
Thank you...

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 9 hours later
Thanks for thanking

I hope the piece of advice would guide you for better health

Good luck