I think I have scratched my throat. Feeling difficulty to breath and swallow. What's wrong?

ENT Specialist
Question
hi i had an almond and i think a small piece either scraped my throat and i feel its still there i have been drinking water and gargling ate bread i can breath and dont feel like im chocking its annoying that when i swallow i feel like a cut or something sharp still there..what can i do to sooth it and sleep tonight Thanks
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. There is probably an injury caused by a small, sharp piece of the almond while swallowing.

2. The most common area for food debris to be stuck in the throat is the tonsil and other lymphoid tissue deeper in the throat.

3. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your throat. A Videolaryngoscopy is a simple procedure to look all the way down into the throat. Especially if this is troubling you. If the Videolaryngoscopy is clear then it means that the foreign body sensation (of food stuck in the throat) is due to the injury or scratch caused by thr piece of almond or any foreign body accidentally swallowed along with the almonds.

4. Once the examination is clear, you may use a medicated gargle such as Tantum (benzydamine oral rinse) or Mucaine Gel (Oxetacaine) to soothe your throat and have a painkiller (anti-inflammatory) to help you sleep peacefully.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry as you can breathe normally and there is no choking or vomiting. Get your throat examination and correct medication prescribed by a local doctor for prompt relief.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: I think I have scratched my throat. Feeling difficulty to breath and swallow. What's wrong? 36 minutes later
Thank you,
do i need to get a throat specialist to check it, if by Monday i still feel like its there i will get my local doctor to examine my throat, and take it form there, i am feeling like my throat is sore when i swallow im drinking heaps of water with lemon and i have put my fingers in my throat trying to feel something, probably scratched it more, its annoying m e when i swallow but hoping it will allow me to sleep is the main thing thanks ,

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If you still feel the same on Monday, visit an ENT Specialist preferably.

2. Try not to feel the area with your fingers. It will only worsen the symptoms. Try cold milk in stead of water with lemon or go to a nearby ER and gargle with 4% lignocaine. A 10% lignocaine spray will provide instant relief (after the initial burning sensation). Take an OTC painkiller if necessary (but remember that it will mask the symptoms).

Regards.

Follow-up: I think I have scratched my throat. Feeling difficulty to breath and swallow. What's wrong? 12 minutes later
just so i dont worry myself to death and cause an anxiety attack, is this most likely to be a scratched feeling in my throat now, could the almond move while i sleep, or it has already passed through sorry for so many questions, but thanks for replying
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If the piece of almond is still there and it moves, you will either spit it out or swallow it. If it enters the wind pipe you will cough it out, A tiny piece is unlikely to choke you.

2. Most likely it has passed through leaving behind a small injury which will heal in a day or two.

3. Do get your throat checked as soon as you get a opportunity. I would recommend this if the feeling persists over the weekend.

Regards.