I swallowed a tooth pick. What should i do? Worrisome

ENT Specialist
Question
i swallowed a tooth pick. what should i do. it dont hurt, just becoming worried.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

If the toothpick is not hurting, then you do not have to worry. It would have got into the stomach. Usually, the strong acid present in the stomach can digest the wooden pick making it relatively harmless.

My suggestion to you is to wait and watch for a couple of days. It can get excreted in the stools. If you notice pain abdomen or blood in stools consult your doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: I swallowed a tooth pick. What should i do? Worrisome 16 hours later
I can still feel it in my thoart. Will it pass soon.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

It is wiser to consult your doctor for a throat examination to look for any trauma. Secondly, it is very unlikely that it can still remain in the throat, if so; you would have difficulty in swallowing saliva. Thus, the sensation could be due to the trauma caused by the stick while passing down the throat.

If it is lower down in the throat; then the probability of the stick lying in the esophagus is more. You can wait for a couple of days and watch, if found any difficulty in swallowing consult your doctor immediately for an endoscopic evaluation.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon