Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

I swallowed a tooth pick. What should i do? Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1631 Questions
Question
i swallowed a tooth pick. what should i do. it dont hurt, just becoming worried.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in General Health
 
 
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

If the toothpick is not hurting, then you do not have to worry. It would have got into the stomach. Usually, the strong acid present in the stomach can digest the wooden pick making it relatively harmless.

My suggestion to you is to wait and watch for a couple of days. It can get excreted in the stools. If you notice pain abdomen or blood in stools consult your doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Regards
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Follow-up: I swallowed a tooth pick. What should i do? Worrisome 16 hours later
I can still feel it in my thoart. Will it pass soon.
 
 
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

It is wiser to consult your doctor for a throat examination to look for any trauma. Secondly, it is very unlikely that it can still remain in the throat, if so; you would have difficulty in swallowing saliva. Thus, the sensation could be due to the trauma caused by the stick while passing down the throat.

If it is lower down in the throat; then the probability of the stick lying in the esophagus is more. You can wait for a couple of days and watch, if found any difficulty in swallowing consult your doctor immediately for an endoscopic evaluation.

I wish you good health.

Regards
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions