I seem to have pubic lice. Please suggest a treatment.

I seem to have pubic lice. please suggest a treatment
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Pubic lice infection is caused by crab louse its symptoms are
Itching in pubic region.
Sensation of moving object on pubic ,abdominal skin.

Pubic lice infestation can be treated with pediculocide Lotions and creams.

The two most commonly used insecticides are:
malathion aqueous lotion
permethrin dermal cream

In most cases, the instructions for using permethrin cream will be as follows:

Apply the lotion to your whole body, particularly any hairy areas, when you are clean, dry and cool.

Do not apply the lotion to your face, the hair on your head, your eyebrows or eyelashes.

Apply the cream to entire body below neck.
Apply the lotion to your pubic area, including any pubic hair, hair between your legs and hair around your anus.

Be careful not to get the lotion in your eyes. If you do, rinse your eyes thoroughly with water.

As an approximate guide, an adult will need around 100ml of lotion or 30–60g of cream for one application.

Leave permethrin cream on for 8 - 12 hours.
Reapply the treatment if you wash any part of your body during the treatment time.

After the correct treatment time has passed, wash the lotion or cream off.

Repeat the treatment after three to seven days as instructed.
Do not use medication more than twice.

Your sexual partner if any also needs to be treated similarly to prevent re infection.

Laundering of all your clothes (inner clothes) ,bedding in hot water is essential.

Also pubic louse spreads by sexual route ( with sexual intercourse), a search for any other sexually transmitted infection is must .

Hope Ive answered your query.

I will be available for any followup questions.

If you dont have any follow up questions please accept my answer.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: I seem to have pubic lice. Please suggest a treatment. 10 hours later
Thanks for your answer. Can you suggest something for acne/ pimples on the back? My wife has these on her back, specifically on the upper back. She has some on the face too. We showed her to XXXXXXX Skin Clininc for the face pimples and she is using their products on the face.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 minutes later
Hello and thanks again,

Acne frequently affects face, back, upper chest. Topical antibiotic solution like clindac A solution are helpful. You may use them on face and back after discussing with your prescribing doctor. In addition Perobar soap can be used to give additional benefits.

These products may have some interaction with the products given to you already at the XXXXXXX skin clinic. Do not use both the products simultaneously without discussing with your expert.

Hope this suffices. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Dr Sudarshan