I pricked my palm on a rusty nail. Do I need tetanus shot?

i pricked lightly the palm of my hand indoors with a rusty planter nail? Do I need a technic shot?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

I guess what you meant was tetanus. If there is visible blood then you need Tetanus Immunoglobulin (Ig) shot. This is not required if you had this injection within the last 6 months. However you still can get Tetanus vaccination that is given once in 10 years to minimize the complications that occur with Tetanus bacteria. Please note that Tetanus Vaccination is different from Tetanus Ig.

Medical doctors advise tetanus shot for any injury just because the cost of injection is much lesser when compared to the complications and dreadful symptoms that tetanus can bring in.

Hope you can easily make a decision with this answer.