I need help with my sinuses I have blood in

Question
I need help with my sinuses I have blood in my mucus real bad headache around my eyes and in my face mucus is like it's hung in the back of my throat sometimes my throat is sore sometimes I have a little cough and it'd be a pain in my neck can you help me please
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Informaiton

Detailed Answer:
Hello Javaro,

I am sorry you are having so much trouble. This sounds like a sinus infection or some sort of congestion in your sinuses. Depending on how long this has been gong on will help determine if you need an antibiotic (for bacterial infection) or whether it might still be a viral infection.

If this has been going on less than 2-3 weeks, consider the following treatments:

1. Guaifenesin - this is a mucolytic that will thin the mucus and help it to pass more easily. It is an over the counter medication. It requires that you drink a lot of water for it to work.

2. A decongestant - pseudoephedrine. This is also non-prescription but if you are in the US, it does require you to show your ID for the pharmacist to get it for you. It works by constricting dilated blood vessels so there is less congestion. Don't use it if you have high blood pressure or other problems where this med is contraindicated.

3. A steroid nasal spray such as Flonase: this will take a couple days to start woking. It decreases swelling in the sinuses.

4. Saline rinses with a nettipot or pre-made nasal irrigation such as XXXXXXX Med Saline Rinse. Don't use at the same time (or within an hour or so) of the steroid nasal spray or it will just wash it out.

However, if you have a fever or these symptoms have been going on for more than a couple of weeks, then do go in to see a doctor at which time an antibiotic might be indicated.

I hope this information helps.