Ask a Urologist   »  

I just got a uti again,after being treated two weeks

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I just got a uti again,after being treated two weeks ago. Is my sexual partner reinfecting me ?m We have relations nightly.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your UTI seems to besecondary to Urethral Stenosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .
Based on the facts that you have posted you have recurrent episodes of UTI over a short period of time .

This is most commonly due to senile urethral stenosis which is very common in elderly females .In females as the age advances there is a generalized atrophy of Genito Urinary organs which also involves urethra causing narrowing of urethral passage .This leads to incomplete emptying of bladder during micturition resulting into significant amount of urine to remain in bladder what is called as Post Void Residual Urine (PVR) this PVR is the source of infection .

You need to consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis .
1) Urine routine and urine culture
2) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen with specific mention of calculating PVR
3)Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy) .
4) He would do Calibration of urethra (Dilatation) simultaneously .

This has to be followed by self urethral dilatation at home once daily for few weeks This will maintain urethral passage wide open and help in emptying of bladder completely and avoid PVR and there by avoid getting frequent UTI.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil...

Follow-up: I just got a uti again,after being treated two weeks 1 hour later
I can not view the answer.
Follow-up: I just got a uti again,after being treated two weeks 8 minutes later
What is PVR ?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PVR stands for Post Void Residual Urine

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Normally bladder should get emptied completely during micturition .However in senile urethral stenosis it is not empty completely and some amount of urine still remains in bladder this is called Post Void Residual Urine (PVR).If this volume is significant it becomes a source of infection and cause for recurrent UTI.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.