I it normal to have clots after a transurethral resection of prostate?

I am 80 years old recently I had a Turp (Green Light Laser procedure) approx. 8 weeks ago I am now passing clot with is soft I do not think this is a blood clot could it be part of the prostrate that was removed as it is soft and med dark in colour. I am concerned as I am still urinating quite often.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You may be passing prostate pieces. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX It is a common post operative sequel of TURP . Usually it happens 8-10 days after surgery, due to dissolution of scab which forms on the raw surface of prostate. I am sure your Doctor must have advise you to drink plenty of water,which help in passing out any retained tissue and blood clots. As it is happening 8 weeks after your surgery, It is possible that after surgery, proper irrigation did not happen, and some pieces of prostatic tissue retained inside. if this is the condition, then you may have to undergo another surgery to remove the retained prostatic tissues. Unless they are removed completely, you may not get proper relief. i would advise you to go and see your urosurgeon again. You may expect him to send you for USG or urethrogram, which may perfectly come normal even in presence of those pieces. So the best judgement should be based on Clinical suspicion by your Doctor and Cystoscopy. Hope this information will help you. Dr H Hamdani
Follow-up: I it normal to have clots after a transurethral resection of prostate? 1 hour later
I thought that I was drinking an adequate amount of water. Due to blood thinner I was bleeding quite a bit and I was urinating often. For 1 month I was urinating with a good stream. I was passing small scabs until recently then they became larger approx 2cm X2 cm. I have the urge to urinate often. My question is how large can I expect the scabs to be present and how long will it take to be back to normal. Yes I was asked to drink a lot of fluids. How much is enough. I was urinating almost as fast as I was drinking. I wore diapers for about 3 weeks. your explanation was good. Now I can see what i was not told by my doctor as what to expect. My urethra was very sore and is still quite sensitive when i urinate. How long will this take to get back to normal. Upon your advice I will see my surgeon. Thank you XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 8 hours later
Brief Answer: important things to keep in mind Detailed Answer: I feel that you must talk to your Doctor who has prescribed you blood thinners, if it is okay to stop for few days. Usually we advise to stop before surgery, and post -operatively until the patient recovers. besides that, you must keep in mind certain important things. You should drink little little throughout the day, with small intervals until 7 PM. Do not drink one full glass of water at once. Remember, you have to train your bladder after it has lost support of prostatic tissue around its neck. If you are thinking full glass at once, bladder receptor will get stimulate immediately, and you will pass urine immediately. Second thing, when you feel like passing urine, just sit quietly atleast for a minute ( slowly you can increase the time), then walk slowly to the bathroom. It will help you in alleviating your reflex, and train bladder to increase holding capacity. Passing of pieces indicates that you must see the urosurgeon. For sore urethra, proper control of urine, and frequency, you have to be patient, while following the proper advise. Post operative recovery time differ from patient to patient. Wish you speedy recovery. You are welcome to ask any further query. Dr HAMDANI