I have to take laxatives and stool softners every day to have bowel movements

i am 37 year old female, i have always had a problem with constipation, In the last two months it has become so bad that i went as long as 12 days without a bowel movement. It took 7 days and 12 laxatives to finally start being able to get some relief, in the process my gas was unbearable,and noxious and still is. i have to take laxatives and stool softners every day to have bowel movements. I eat fiber regularly,
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Suggest to run further tests... Detailed Answer: Hi, I had gone through your query and understand your concerns. The normal bowel movements depends on many factors including diet, physical activity and intestinal problems. I advise my patients who have the same constipation problems as you to go on lifestyle and diet modifications including : - drink more water - do more physical activity for about 40 minutes every day like morning walk, evening walk. - avoid foods that slow down the bowel movements (banana, yogurt,etc.) - take probiotics I also suggest to run further tests to exclude severe intestinal problems: - abdominal ultrasound - examination of stool for ova/parasites - culture of stool for bacteria/candida infection You can discuss this with your treating doctor. Please let me know if you have further queries before meeting your primary care doctor. Dr.Albana