I have snoring problem while at sleep. Please advise how to cure this.

i have snoring problem while at sleep. Please advise how to cure this.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 38 minutes later

Snoring occurs when you can't move air freely through your nose and mouth during sleep. Men have narrower air passage than women and are more likely to snore. There are a few multiple conditions that prone an individual to snore. It is necessary to find the reason that is causing you to snore. Of the multiple etiologies, the following are the commonest.

1. Sometimes a narrow throat, cleft palate, enlarged adenoids, and other physical attributes that contribute to snoring are often hereditary. Nasal / sinus problems and blocked airways make inhalation difficult and create a vacuum in the throat, leading to snoring.

2. In men who are middle aged, throat becomes narrower, and the muscle tone in throat decreases thus causing snoring.

3. If you are overweight or out of shape they can also contribute to snoring.

4. Alcohol intake, smoking, and certain medications can increase muscle relaxation leading to more snoring. Sleeping flat on your back causes the flesh of your throat to relax and block the airway.

5. In some people Snoring could indicate sleep apnea, a potentially life-threatening condition that requires medical attention. Sleep apnea is a breathing obstruction, causing the person to keep waking up to begin breathing again.

You will have to get examined by primary care physician / ENT surgeon to rule out these conditions. In the meantime you can use ‘Breathe Right Nasal Spray’ which is available over the counter; it might help you.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.
Should you have any additional queries, I will be glad to help you further.