I have never been told to do any follow ups

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I have never been told to do any follow ups but now my daughter has random headaches and she is 9. Did this MRI mean anything? History: 2-year-old girl with microcephaly, developmental delay and signal abnormality seen on previous MR study. Technique: Multiple pulse sequences and multiplanar imaging was performed of the brain. This examination is compared with prior study of December 16, 2009. Findings: There is no mass, midline shift or hemorrhage. The ventricular system is within normal limits. There is a persistent cavum vellum interpositum. Also seenis an incidental subcentimeter pineal cyst. Focal signal abnormality in the brain is otherwise not identified. The signal abnormality seen the posterior limbs of the internal capsule is not appreciated on thisexam. The intracerebral vasculature shows expected flow-void. The pituitary hypothalamic region is unremarkable. There is signal abnormality in the bilateral maxillary ethmoid and rightmastoid air cells. Conclusion: Essentially unremarkable MRI of the brain. There is paranasal sinus and right mastoid air cells signal abnormality.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This MRI does not show any significant abnormality.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your daughter's clinical and MRI brain details. Based on this, MRI report does not show any significant abnormality. The only finding of note is a small pineal cyst, which is not the cause of her headaches. Its size is less than 1 cm. Most pineal cysts do not grow, however, MRI should be repeated after 1-2 years to confirm that the pineal cyst is not increasing in size.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: I have never been told to do any follow ups 2 days later
is a persistent cavum vellum interpositum. Also seenis an incidental subcentimeter pineal cyst. These are not two different concerns?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
They are not of concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

1. Cavum septum interpositum is a normal variation and is not a disease.

2. Pineal cyst is an abnormality, however, in most cases, it does not cause any problem and no treatment is necessary. As I mentioned earlier, repeat MRI scan would be needed. If the pineal cyst shows an increase in size, then, surgery may be needed.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)