Ask a Urologist   »  

I have molluscum contagiosum on the top of penis. How do I treat this? Is this related to STI?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have Molluscum Contagiosum on the top of my penis, how do I treat this? I believe a cream will do the job. What the treatment methodology? and is this related to a STI?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     38 year old male
•     Known case of Molluscum contagiosum.
•     Concern related to nature and treatment of problem.

First in your case diagnosis need to be confirmed. You can show it to some lesion to dermatologist for final diagnosis. You can also search its picture on net to match it with your lesion. It is usually a dome-shaped, pink, waxy papules that are 2-5 mm in diameter with pitting/dimple/umblication on top.

It is caused by viral infection of skin by virus. Severe and disseminated Molluscum contagiosum infection is a sign of poor immunity.

It is a STI. You should get tests like:
HIV Eliasa
VDRL
Complete blood count

Infection used to cause anxiety in infected person. But do not worry. It is self limiting problem and in most of the cases lesions disappear in 12-24 months.

Molluscum contagiosum in the genital region should be treated to prevent further spread through sexual transmission. Following steps will help you:
-Take healthy diet and multivitamins daily to increase your immunity.
Following treatments are options but should be delivered by specialist only.
-Podofilox: a purified form of the main ingredient in podophyllin (an agent that causes skin to loosen and fall off) may be used as it is frequently prescribed for genital warts. Usually, 0.05 ml of 5% podofilox is applied twice daily for three days.
-Cryotherapy: killing the virus by freezing the papules with dry ice or liquid nitrogen
-Salicylic acid
-Trichloroacetic acid (TCA)
-Curettage: scraping off the papules

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: I have molluscum contagiosum on the top of penis. How do I treat this? Is this related to STI? 1 hour later
Can I send you a photo? I think this could be the what I have but I would like someone to have a look.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later
Yes. You can upload photo of lesion.

Follow-up: I have molluscum contagiosum on the top of penis. How do I treat this? Is this related to STI? 8 hours later
I have done some more research online, it could be genital herpes, as they seem more blistered. But let me know your thoughts on the photos.

Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

I have seen pics of lesions. It does not appear Molluscum contagiosum to me. It may be genital herpes but these lesions used to associated with severe pain.

Other possibility is syphilis which is a painless lesion. In syphilis and herpes medicine like antibiotics and acyclovir is used after diagnosis.

You can follow other steps to proceed further:
-Tests: HIV Elisa, VDRL, Complete blood count
-Avoid sex, keep area clean and dry
-Examination and prescription of medicine from dermatologist.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.