I have high risk HPV. Is there any treatment for high risk HPV?

Question
I have high risk HPV . I have no symptoms. I had been told that high risk HPV is not the kind that causes warts. So when is it safe to have sex. Is there any treatment for high risk hpv
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
High risk HPV needs to be followed up regularly.You need to get a PAP smear test done yearly.You can of course,have sex but with barrier contraception like condoms.High risk HPV has a tendency to cause cervical cancer so you need to have regular check ups done.There is no permanent cure and treatment.The virus remains in the body lifelong but may or may not progress to cause cancer.To avoid that,regular tests are needed.Safe sex is recommended.

Follow-up: I have high risk HPV. Is there any treatment for high risk HPV? 21 hours later
But is it true that high risk HPV does not cause warts. Does it cause cancer in men if the get it

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 hours later
It may cause warts but the risk is much much lower.Studies show that it has a higher risk for cancer.In men,the infection may be transmitted but risk of cancer is lower than women.Hence safe sex is recommended.

Follow-up: I have high risk HPV. Is there any treatment for high risk HPV? 11 hours later
will i have to use condoms the rest of my life. will it never be safe without them

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 hours later
Since you will have the dormant disease always,risk of transmission is always there.It would be advisable to use condoms.Discussing this with your partner will be helpful.