I have had shingles for two weeks and have some

Question
I have had shingles for two weeks and have some effects that I don't see in any literature. I have abdominal pain on the left side and the blisters are gone but the skin is raw and sore, not healing. Is this due to the shingles or is something else going on? Thanks for your help.

Roselie
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably due to shingles

Detailed Answer:
Hello Roselie,

the skin lesions may - normally - take longer to heal but in certain individuals they may take more than a month. In most cases 3-4 weeks seems to be a long enough time for the lesions to disappear completely. Pain may last for more - sometimes even for months or years. If the pain involves the affected area then it's probably due to shingles.

A picture of the area might have helped...

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!

Follow-up: I have had shingles for two weeks and have some 5 hours later
Thanks for your response.

Is there anything I can do to help heal the inflamed, irritated skin, and keep it from becoming infected? It is really red and sore.

Thanks.

Roselie

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not much

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

There's not much you can do. If you've seen the lesions improving and then they got worse again then you may have to show them to your doctor as they may be infected already. Otherwise just give them some more time. In the meantime avoid scratching or irritating them in any way. Keep them dry and clean.

Kind Regards!