I have had ongoing upper left abdomen pain for the

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have had ongoing upper left abdomen pain for the last month. I had a ct scan and bloodwork which came back negative about 10 days ago, but the pain is still there. It is better when I lay flat. When I wake up in the morning the pain is not there, but within a few moments of getting up and moving around it is there.pain starts near where my fixed ribs end and floating ribs begin along my oblique towards my back and sometimes towards my hip. I would describe it as a full and achy feeling and sometimes slightly burning
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be muscular or peptic ulcer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

As CT scan is normal the possibilities left as per your description are-
Peptic ulcers-Stomach and duodenum is lined by a natural layer of mucosa membrane which when destroyed by acid causes ulcers in stomach and duodenum.This cause severe irritation and inflammation leading to pain.This wont reflect in a CT scan therefore an endoscopy should be done.A camera would be inserted theough your esophagus into mouth to look for ulcers.Response to proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole is usually seen.Peptic ulcers usually presents with a burning pain.

Possibility 2-
As pain increases on moments it can be muscular also.
Mild to moderate inflammation in abdominal and intercostal muscles could cause pain.A proper physical examination of that area should be done and if some thing turns out to be suspecious then anti inflammatory medication like Tylenol should be taken for few days.
Muscular pain would respond to it immediately.
As you are already taking ibuprofen so if your pain responded to it then it can be muscular otherwise you should go for an endoscopy.

Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.

Follow-up: I have had ongoing upper left abdomen pain for the 8 minutes later
Thank you for this....I do take 40 mg of omeprazole each morning and this seems to have no effect on it. Also, ibuprofen doesn't seem to really work.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,
When a patient presents with left upper quad pain then probable organ involved may be-
1)Spleen-Normal CT.
2)Diverticulitis-Normal CT.
3) Intestines-Again normal CT rules out involvement.
4)Peptic ulcer-Endoscopy is needed.
If all are normal then can be Muscular also.
I would suggest you to go for Endoscopy.Only investigations could help us reach the proper diagnosis.

Regards!