I have gout. Noticed blood in stool. Are they linked ?

i have recently experienced gout, I have also noticed some blood in my stool, are they linked ? should i be concerned ?
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 21 minutes later

No, Gout and the blood in the stools are less likely to be related.

If the blood in stools you noticed is XXXXXX blood (fresh blood) then there are possibilities for it to be due to more commonly encountered conditions like Fissure or Haemorrhoids.

Do get a colonoscopy done by a Proctologist to ascertain the exact cause of the blood in the stool.

Also do reduce the dosage of the pain killers if you are taking for gout as they can worsen the bleeding in the stools.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: I have gout. Noticed blood in stool. Are they linked ? 1 hour later
Hi today the blood was fresh and come out seperately without any poo, this is the first time this has happened, should I be concerned ?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, I consider you consulting an proctologist is essential and better as soon as possible.A colonoscopy is very much needed to find out the exact cause and the site of the bleeding.I still suspect it to be either fissure or Hemorrhoids.

Wish you good health.