I have got scratches and cracks on nails. Looking for suggestion

Jul 2012

I am of 23 yrs, male. I have got scratches/lines/cracks etc on both my thumb nails and also on few other nails. I am worried. Please suggest. I do not have any allergies, nor taking any current medication, etc. Hoping for the reply at the earliest.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 28 minutes later
Hi there.
How long have you had these 'cracks' on your nails? How XXXXXXX are the fissures?
Are these present on your toe nails also or just your hands? How long has it been since these have developed? It is difficult to opine exactly what it is sans any visuals. If you let me know which part of india or the world you hail from, i could guide you or recommend a colleague in your region who could better help you on the ground. As i see it though, no need for worry or concern. The nails are a dead hardy tissu. So if anything does affect them, it takes years (normally not acute unless acute bacterial pyonychia) & by that same toke, the treatment therof also takes long whatever the condition. They are a useful window to the insides & an aid to diagnosis of medical conditions but by & large, not very dramatic by nature..:)
I just recieved your query & do hope this answer meets your needs. Will discuss further on recieving your reply. Cheers!
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venreologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India