Ask a Dentist   »  

I have geographic tongue. What is the real cause for this? How do I clear this?

Question
I have geographic tongue. What is the real cause for this? And how do I clear this?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I am afraid the cause for that condition cannot be pin pointed. Only risk factors can be enumerated. In your age group, diet and smoking are few. For the appearance no specific therapy exists and the time for resolution is also not very acute. A month is usually the time frame doctors speak after assessing the clinical condition of the area affected and in the event that it is benign. Else it takes longer.

Meanwhile I would suggest you take a lot of greens in your diet or vitamin b supplements. And adopt a healthy lifestyle if you still haven't. I also advise my patients to take riboflavin supplements separately for some time. These work most of the times, but not all. And maintain good oral hygiene.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.