I have discomfort in my upper stomach area and low

Question
I have discomfort in my upper stomach area and low pelvic discomfort when I have to push when I have a bowel movement almost makes impossible to go the lower area will pooch out and sometimes I have to lay down on my back until it gets better what is this
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Follow-up: I have discomfort in my upper stomach area and low 6 minutes later
email address YYYY@YYYY
Follow-up: I have discomfort in my upper stomach area and low 1 hour later
i DIDN'T HEAR FROM YOU

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to GERD

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Regarding the pelvic discomfort, I would request you to please elaborate on the matter. It could be due to an urinary tract infection which is common at your age. I would therefore insist you to get your urine tested for routine microscopy and culture sensitivity. Please upload the reports thereafter and I will guide you accordingly.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.