I have developed a throat problem. Having fever, pain and itching in throat. Suggest suitable medication

Hi, I have developed a throat problem. Starting Thursday last week, I had pain and itchiness in my throat. Over the weekend I had a bout of sneezing. After that i now have a running nose, am coughing, feeling feverish and have yellowish flem. Can you pls recommend suitable medication.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

It looks like you are developing a throat infection
This is what you should do

1. Avoid eating spicy, oily, milk and milk products
2. Gargle your throat with betadine garagle two to three times daily, if you don't like the taste then warm salt water will do
3. Eat only warm food and beverages, including water.
4. Tablets like levocetrizine can be taken for symptomatic relief at night and tab azithromycin (anti biotic) can be taken once a day for three days if you develop fever. Please approach a physician for a prescription. Please don't consider this my prescription to you
5. Steam inhalation will help you recover faster

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further queries please get back to me I will be happy to reply

I wish you a speedy recovery