I have dark dry patches on my right index fingertip,

I have dark dry patches on my right index fingertip, that runs from the tip to the middle of my index finger. There are 3 or 4 more on my right thumb and one larger one on the same thumb that is right near my palm. There's 4 or 5 smaller ones on my middle finger with a bigger one on the middle of my middle finger. There are also 1 on my left hand index fingertip and my thumb fingertip. They are not nearly as prevelant on my left hand. They are unsightly, but they are very rough. Rough enough that I can file them with a nail file, so they can't be so readily seen. But that only lasts two or three day, then they gradually "grow" and become dry and come in dark as they were before. Please help. I'm tired of hiding my hands and filing my skin.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
Hello. Welcome !
Thanks for your query posted .
Your condition can be seen very clearly on the photo images. You have Palm Keratoderma.
This condition can occur due to external causes like chemicals , physical exercise , detergents or due to XXXXXXX causes like genetic or hereditary reasons.

You will need to use a Urea 20 % cream daily on your palms and that will help in reducing the thickness and make the area softer.
You should avoid any external friction or pressure on the affected areas.

In case this does not improve in 1 month of Urea 20% application , you will need to take tablet called Acitretin 25 mg which is available as a prescription from your Dermatologist or Physician .

P.S The best method to apply Urea cream is first to soak the hands in XXXXXXX warm water for 10 minutes , then scraping the skin with the filer and then applying it as this will help in better absorption of the cream and will be more effective .

Thanks and take care