I have continuous mouth ulcer on tongue, throat and inside the cheek. Which specialist should I consult?

Jan 2013

I have continuous mouth ulcer on tongue, throat and inside the cheek for 8 months. How to resolve the same and which doctor specialist I should go.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later

Mouth ulcer is a very common problem and exact cause has not been defined.

Some patients may have deficiency of vitamin (Vit B12, folic acid B6), zinc deficiency, stress.

In few cases, autoimmune disease may be the cause such as pemphigus vulgaris, lichen planus.

In few cases, Herpes zoster is the cause.

Exact cause can be defined by few queries and their answers, treatment is also variable for different causes.

Do you have some fluid filled vesicles inside the mouth (prior to ulcer formation) along with pain?

It indicates presence of herpes zoster amnd it may be recurrent as in your case.

This particular entity is treated by anti-viral therapy.

Do you have fluid filled vesicles/ bullae in mouth along with skin involvement.

Pemphigus vulgaris & lichen planus is associated with mouth and skin involvement.

Do you have stress?

You should consult with physician and should go for detail check up and should rule out pemphigus vulgaris, lichen planus and herpes zoster.

You should take following medication on written prescription: Multivitamins, rebapimide/ troxipide, zinc supplementation, vitamin C tablet (Limcee), lexanox oral paste, triamcinolone oral paste, proton pumpinhibitors with prokinetics.

As per investigations, there are no particular cause and its very difficult to go for serum vitamin level and detect the cause.

Yet, you can go for serum vitamin B12, folic acid, serum vitamin B6 , renal function test.

As such there is no correlation between renal stones and mouth ulcers.

I have answered most of your queries, let me know your views also.

Best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava