I have been under a lot of stress this year.

Question
I have been under a lot of stress this year. My husband passed away on January 1st after 6 weeks of hospitalization (I stayed with him except for 3 brief trips home) I was thrown into running my husband's property mgmt business and doing many things alone that we used to share. I am teaching a class once a week in addition to preparing my home to sell, etc. I am moving closer to be with family. In the past few months I have experienced a change in my speech pattern & having problems with stringing my words together fluently. My doctor says it
is caused by stress and it will improve when I am more settled. I wonder if she is right or has something happened in my brain. I am in excellent health otherwise. My lab workup shows everything is "perfect". I am 77 yrs old.
Posted 5 days ago in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Brain scan may be necessary

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

I understand your concern and I am sorry about your husband’s passing away.

Although the loss of a spouse is rated as one of the major causes of stress and while the speech difficulties you are experiencing may be explained by lack of concentration and low moods caused by that stress, I would still urge you to get a brain scan done to rule out any other possible organic cause.

I am sure your doctor has performed a thorough physical exam, but if you were my patient I would go a step further and recommend a scan, just to be on the safer side.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Wishing you good health and all the best.