I have been under a lot of pressure and stress

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I have been under a lot of pressure and stress lately and I have a history of anxiety.

My blood pressure has been around 140/100 and I can’t seem to calm myself down enough right now and when I get nervous it goes a bit higher.

I’ve never had blood pressure issues before. I’m 38. Probably 15-20 overweight. I don’t smoke, I don’t drink, no caffeine and I exercise daily but I do eat sugary foods and some fried foods.

Do you think it’s a temporary stress thing or should I talk to a dr about meds?
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Few things you should take care

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that Stress and anxiety are one of the biggest factor that can cause a rise in blood pressure and heart rate.

If your blood pressure goes high only when you are tensed or stressed out and remains normal (<140/90mmhg) otherwise then there is no need of bp medication.

You have to monitor your blood pressure regularly twice daily for 7 days and if stays high in most of the reading then antihypertensive should be started. Also you need to reduce the intake of fried food and high salt diet.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap