I have been taking this medicine for quite sometime...I am

Neurologist
Question
I have been taking this medicine for quite sometime...I am having terrible headaches with no relief..my mom just told me about some of the symptoms that can occur from this medicine ...I can't get ahold of my dr and I'm wondering if it is safe to just quit taking them or if I have to wean myself away
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Duloxetine is an antidepressant which is widely used. Many antidepressants are actually used for headache prevention, generally having a beneficial effect in chronic headaches.
However in some cases as neurotransmitter balance is altered they may produce the contrary effect, causing headache. That is the case for Duloxetine as well, while in most patients it improves headaches, in about 10-12% of them it can actually cause headaches as a side effect. So it could be your case.

Of course there is no certain way to confirm that Duloxetine is the cause, depression and anxiety themselves can cause/exacerbate headache. So one has to go back and consider when the headaches have started. If you already suffered frequent headaches before starting Duloxetine then it shoudn't be blamed, if on the other hand you had no headaches before, or they worsened significantly after starting it then it could well be the cause.

As for how to interrupt it, should be done carefully, weaning gradually, not abruptly.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.