Ask a Urologist   »  

I have been diagnosed with stone ureter ...is there a

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I have been diagnosed with stone ureter...is there a way that the diagnosed stone can be removed naturally or with medicines.? Do i need necessarry to go for some surgery considering? thanks
Posted Wed, 6 Dec 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide few more details

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the report of Ultrasound Scanning that you have uploaded you have 7.3 mm size stone impacted in left upper ureter with back pressure changes in kidney as revealed by hydronephrosis and hydroureter and perinephric fat stranding .

The modality of treatment in upper ureteric stone is governed by these factors .
I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) Do you have repeated episodes of severe pain in Left loin or abdomen?
2) Do you have vomiting ?
3) Do you have fever?

The treatment options are
1) If the pain is tolerable You can expect the stone to pass out spontaneously within a week or two with following treatment
a) Antibiotic like Ceprofloxacin and Drotaverine twice daily
b) Tomsulosin once daily .
c) Drink more water
d) Repeat Ultrasound Scanning after two weeks and decide about the treatment depending upon the site of stone ,degree of hydronephrosis and symptoms at that particular time .In most of the cases stone up to size of 8 mm pass out spontaneously with this treatment

2) If the pain is severe and associated with fever and vomiting indicative of infection, should be treated endoscopically by an procedure called URS where the stone is fragmented and these fragments are picked up and delivered out and residual fragments pass out through urine .

3) In some cases stone migrates up in kidney while doing endoscopic procedure in such event a tube called Double J stent is put in ureter and stone is fragmented by an procedure called Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (E S W L),The stone fragments pass out without any pain .

Your treating Urologist is the best judge to decide about the modality of treatment depending upon the factors mentioned above .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.