I have afib and a pacemaker. Can I take benadryl, nyquil or other cold medicine?

Question
I have afib and a pacemaker. Can I safely take benadryl?
Can I take Nyquil or other cold medicine?
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

The medications used for common cold mostly have the side effects of the worsening the arrhythmias. Benadryl syrup has been used widely in patients with atrial fibrillation but some cases do have reported with side effects of tachycardia and palpitations.

Similarly with NyQuil, after 6 hours of the ingestion of the drug there has been report the adverse effects of tachycardia with heart beat more than 120beats/min and palpitations worsening the arrhythmias.

It is not necessary for every patient to develop these effects but there are chances as the cases have been reported.

Sodium cromoglycate is a drug used for common cold and is used by nasal route in the form of nasal spray. The drug has local effect and do cause any symptoms of heart.

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask.

Thanks