I have adult onset asthma. Tried Dulera, had headache and rapid heart rate. Medication without side effect?

I have adult onset asthma. I am rarely out of breath unless i walk up a flight of stairs.
I think it is due to Allergies. I cannot take advair/Discus and most recently tried Dulera snd it csused severe headache and rapid heart rate. Is there a drug beside these that dont cause side effects. Will i always have to take a medicine. Will Asthma ever go away completely. CAN THE MEDS CAUSE LONG TERM PROBLEMS. i do use Xopenex as needed. I really feel frustrated about the meds. Are there long term problems with Q-Var?
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

You are suffering from asthma which as per your description is of mild intermittent nature which is triggered by physical exertion(climbing stairs). Have you noticed similar kind of breathlessness before any other form of physical exertion because then you may fall in the category of `Exercise Induced Asthma`.

You must understand that the treatment of asthma is with the help of inhalers which fall in the category of either rescuers(Levalbuterol or salbutamol) or controllers(steroids). They may be given either singly or in combination(preferrably like your advair and dulera).

You seem to have tried almost all types of inhaled steroids available. From your description it is clear that you are not tolerating mometasone(dulera) and fluticasone(advair) whereas you do`nt seem to have much problem with qvar(beclomethsone).

Since your problem is not a chronic one and only comes with physical exertion, try using only levalbuterol(xopenex) just before exercise though preferrably 10 to 15 min prior. If you have to use steroids or if your pulmonologist have prescribed you for some reason, i suggest you use qvar or budesonide since you seem to be tolerating it well.

You may try using a tablet of montair lc on regular basis. You may also try sod chromoglycate or cromolyn which is also a controller and available as inhaler.

Most of the asthma drugs are available as inhalers and act directly at the site of disease activity hence very small quantity actually enters your system and side effects are minimal.

Though asthma does not fall in the category of curable diseases but it can be well controlled with the medicines available and the patient can have a normal lifestyle.

You should consult a pulmonologist who will address all your fears.