I have a small pea sized moveable lump under the skin by my elbow.

Question
I have a small pea sized moveable lump under the skin by my elbow
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

I would like to know some more details on the problem you have to help you better, like :

1) When did you notice the lump first ?
2) Are there any changes in the skin over the lump ?
3) What is the consistency of the lump ?
4) Do you have any type of infections in the hand or forearm on the affected side ?
5) Do you have pain associated with it?
6) Is the lump growing in size ?

A lump of around a pea sized over the site you mentioned could probably be one amongst

1)Lymph node : is a small ball or an oval-shaped organ of the immune system, distributed widely throughout the body , usually cannot be noticed because of their small size .When there is any infection in the vicinity the lymph node grows in size where it can be felt or seen.This increase in size happens due to immune reaction against the infection present in the vicinity.

2) Neurofibroma : is a benign nerve sheath tumor in the peripheral nerves.They are asymptomatic, not serious and need no treatment if occur single.

3) Lipoma : is a non-cancerous tumour that is made up of fat cells. It slowly grows under the skin in the subcutaneous tissue.Most of times they are associated with pain and need to be excised as they have tendency to grow .

I shall provide you most likely , specific diagnosis and treatment if you can help me by answering the above questions.

Follow-up: I have a small pea sized moveable lump under the skin by my elbow. 19 minutes later
I noticed the lump 2 days .No change in the skin.No infection in that hand or arm.There is no pain.consistency feels hard.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Based on the information provided by you I suspect the lump to be a neurofibroma.Which is very common and asymptomatic and does not need any intervention. Only if there is any numbness in the arm distal to it due to nerve involvement excision may be needed.

I would advice you to consult a general surgeon who can examine it and confirm the fact.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.