I have a hiatal hernia . Could this cause a

Cardiologist
Question
I have a hiatal hernia. Could this cause a skip in your heart beat when it is acting up? Otherwise I am a healthy female. Just had Life Line Screening for afib and all the other tests. All came out completely normal. Normal blood tests. Normal blood pressure and normal sugar levels. Do have some anxiety issues. Have thyroid issues as well.
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I passed carefully through your concern and would explain that hiatal hernia especially when it represents a large volume passing through the diaphragm into the thorax may cause a pressure effect inside mediastinal volume and lead to several unpleasant symptoms including also palpitations or skipped beats (premature heart beats).

In addition, also thyroid dysfunction may exacerbate cardiac arrhythmic events, including atrial fibrillation and extra-systoles (skipped heart beats).

Thyroid dysfunction usually may lead or aggravate anxiety disorders, which further increase ectopic heart beats.

Coming to this point, I recommend discussing with your attending doctor on the possibility of reviewing your actual thyroid function and properly adjusting the underlying necessary treatment.

Also, for a better investigation of any responsible effect of hiatal hernia, a chest CT is recommended. It will prove a precise view of the heart with every surrounding structure.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri