I have a hairline fracture of the distal radias bone in wrist. Will i need surgery on it?

hi there. i have a hairline fracture of the distal radias bone in my wrist. will i need surgery on it
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

It is not likely that you will need any surgery right now. A thin hairline fracture can be sometimes treated with a plastic or plaster cast.

The reason why a cast is necessary is to help hold the bone in place so that it may he'll appropriately.

As long as there is not a significant degree of displacement of the bone your orthopedic specialist will likely not recommend any surgery. If there is concern about stability that would be the only reason why surgery would be indicated.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Robert