I have Sharp, quick pain just below left armpit and chest pain, cough and sneezing

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Sharp, quick pain just below left armpit For two days, off and on throughout the day - maybe 5 or 6 times total throughout the day, I'll get a very sharp, shooting pain that lasts a second or two, but it takes me by surprise. It's not related with moving my arm or walking. It's happened while sitting too. I've felt the area for lumps - no lumps or dimples, it's not tender when I press on the area. No abnormal swelling or discoloration of the skin. Not pregnant. I do have a chest cold right now. Coughing, sore throat, some nasal congestion. Both of my children are very sick too, and on antibiotics. I am not on antibiotics.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Lump
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It is related to lung infection Detailed Answer: hello, I have studied your case. You said that you are feeling sharp pain and it is not related to movements. it seems like you are having pain due to chest infection; cough, sneezing are also symptoms suggestive of that. I would like you to get blood test like ESR and leukocyte count. This will give us complete idea whether you are having chest infection. I would also recommend you to get a chest x ray. I would start antibiotics like ofloxacin or augmentin in similar cases after doing the necessary tests. Your local doctor can prescribe these medicines. I would also suggest you to take decongestant and coughs suppresent also. I hope this answers your query. Feel free to ask any other question if you want. Take care.
Follow-up: I have Sharp, quick pain just below left armpit and chest pain, cough and sneezing 53 minutes later
Oh my gosh! Could this be lymphoma??? Now I'm super concerned! It's just that all of those tests seem like they're ruling out lymphoma. Can I just ride it out without going to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: this is not lymphoma Detailed Answer: Hello, I can assure you that this is not lymphoma. It is a chest infection. So do not be panic and i can also assure you that you will be completely normal once you will finish your antibiotic doses. I would like to do these test just to make sure that your chest infection is not very severe and there is no fluid collection inside your chest. So start antibiotics. You will be fine in very short time. Feel free to ask any other question.
Follow-up: I have Sharp, quick pain just below left armpit and chest pain, cough and sneezing 17 minutes later
Ok, I have an appointment with my OB/GYN tomorrow just for a consultation on trying to conceive again. Can he take care of this medical testing or prescribe antibiotics for this? Or would I need to go to an urgent care?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your gynecologist can give antibiotics Detailed Answer: Yes. if you are having appointment with your gynecologist she can help you with medicines. No need to rush to emergency. You can take Brufen for pain relief. I hope I had answered all your queries. Let me know if I can help you any further.