I had symptoms relating to sensations in my neck with

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I had symptoms relating to sensations in my neck with ear pain. Sent for a mri to lool for cancer at base of tongue. Just wondering. Would that mri also scan actual tongue as I now have symptoms in my tongue. A tiny lump under my actual tongue, within my tongue. Does base of tongue include the actual tongue muscle?
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
MRI neck scan preferably with contrast will be a suitable investigation

Detailed Answer:

I confirm that MRI scan is a good modality to evaluate conditions like suspected malignancy of the tongue.

The margins of the tongue muscles and the fascia adjacent to it can be well visualized in a well-designed protocol for neck MRI in 1.5T MRI machines.

Any small lump will be confirmed and if needed then contrast MRI can be done.

The base of tongue includes muscles in the tongue.

Hope this answers your query