I had notching in bilateral uterine arteries ,does it pose

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
I had notching in bilateral uterine arteries ,does it pose any risk in pregnancy please? Is it independent risk factor for Preeclampsia?
Posted Tue, 5 Dec 2017 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Risk for adverse pregnancy outcomes

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Notching in bilateral uterine arteries is an independent risk factor for pre eclampsia, intrauterine growth restriction, low birth weight, decreased amniotic fluid etc.
I have done and published my research on second trimester uterine artery doppler, you can read the article by clicking on the link below:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC0000/
If uterine artery doppler notching is found in 2 nd trimester, then the antenatal visits should be done regularly, and these complications should be searched for and treated at the earliest.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist

Follow-up: I had notching in bilateral uterine arteries ,does it pose 1 hour later
Thank you doctor..Unfortunately my Anomaly scan was abnormal..I had notching in bilateral uterine arteries and diagnosed with Single Umbilical artery as well..Even in the report I could see they written abt preeclampsia,they never counselled me on this or asked me to keep an eye on my BP,I was put on asprin..I went through a growth scan a month after,notching was still there but it's only on left artery..Even though doctor knew I'm at high risk they not ran any additional tests.They not even checked my BP at 6th month checkup..Doctors noticed my BP at 30 weeks gestation and then they did urine/blood tests and I was on bed rest for the next 20 days..They did Doppler once and growth scan once..Unfortunately my baby grown 100 gms in that 20 days.

I went through emergency LSCS and delivered baby at 33 weeks with birth weight 1.2kg,my baby suffered perinatal brain injury and at 4 months of age she got Cerebral Palsy diagnosis

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Perinatal birth injury could be due to prematurity or low birth weight.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
It was hard luck for you.
Uterine artery notching is highly indicative of pre eclampsia and fetal growth restriction.
Dr Deepti Verma