I had no symptoms all day, but tonight I have

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had no symptoms all day, but tonight I have four bowel movements all completely red blood no solids, I'm a 58 year old male with colonoscopy at 53 years old and no signs of any issues?
Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Initially we have to rule out the cause of bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

See my dear patient symptoms of cancer does not develop overnight. You are having blood in stools for 1 day therefore before jumping to a pathology like
colorectal carcinoma we have to rule out common causes.Some differencial's can be-
Acute gastroenteritis-
Typical symptoms of gastroenteritis are diarrhoea that may contain blood and mucus,Secondly it could be diverticulosis also,Sometimes inflamed diverticula's can act as temporary bleeding site. Other possible cause can be a Anal fissure .It is a small cut or tear in the tissue lining the anus.

Suggestions-
Initially go for following tests-
Stool for occult blood-To see if its blood
Stool routine and microscopy-To rule out bacterial or parasitic pathology.
Proctoscopic examination of anal canal by a MD.

If both these tests are normal then we should proceed for colonoscopy.

Hope i answered your query well,
Good luck and get well soon.